Woman and child taken to hospital after Keighley takeaway fire

Image credit: West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service / Twitter

Fire crews spent Saturday dealing with a fire in a takeaway in Keighley town centre, which spread to flats above, putting two people in hospital.

Emergency services were called at 9.20am to Mango's at the corner of North Street and Mornington Street, just opposite the Picture House cinema.

West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service says the fire is believed to have been started when flames from a cooker spread to an extractor flue.

The flats above the takeaway were evacuated, and firefighters used breathing apparatus, hose reels and a triple extension ladder to help extinguish the flames.

North Street was closed for much of the day.

Fire officers later confirmed that a woman and a child were taken to hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Crews from Keighley, Ilkley and Skipton Fire Stations attended the incident plus personnel from Bingley, Shipley, Stanningley, Morley, Fairweather Green, Illingworth, Bradford, Odsal, Rothwell, Killingbeck, Cleckheaton, Cookridge, Rawdon and Todmorden. Aerial support teams also came from Leeds and Huddersfield to assist.

Just after 3pm on Saturday, West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said that the operation had been scaled down.

Keighley Picture House was told not to open and had to cancel a number of film screenings. The cinema says anyone who had booked for a screening that was cancelled can rearrange the booking for another time this week.

 

Hi everyone, due to the fierce fire at Mangos on North Street, we have been told for safety we cannot open the building....

Posted by Keighley Picture House Cinema on Saturday, July 15, 2023

 

More from Latest local news

Rombalds Radio apps



Today's weather

  • Skipton

    Medium-level cloud

    High: 4°C | Low: 1°C

  • Ilkley

    Light rain

    High: 5°C | Low: 0°C

  • Keighley

    Light snow

    High: 4°C | Low: 1°C